Lia Sophia Closes - My Direct Sales Journey

In a blog post in October I mentioned my blossoming jewelry business as an advisor with Lia Sophia jewelry. At that time I didn't realize how short that blossom would be or how my stint in direct sales would quickly go from good to bad.

I was introduced to Lia Sophia jewelry through a networking friend. She had been with the company for six years and she seemed to genuinely enjoy every minute. I also did my own research. I Googled and I Googled some more and I couldn't find any red flags. I liked the fact that the company had been in business over 25 years, that it was family owned, and that they produced a quality product with a lifetime guarantee. I've always loved fashion and jewelry so I figured what the heck! Plus what girl doesn't want to get paid to play with jewelry?! I didn't get voted best dressed in elementary school for nothing. ;)

The Beginning

jewelry junkie
This was so me!

My first three months were great. Selling jewelry at parties and sharing the love of jewelry was a blast. I was even able to recruit two of my hostesses that had $1,000 parties. I just knew I was on my way to eventually walking the stage as a top seller at a conference.

I hit a slump in November as I wasn't prepared for my recruit's parties to go to them which then left me partyless. Even though I hit this bump in the road I was prepared to stick it out. I mean what journey doesn't have road blocks...

jewelry of the day
Lia Sophia Jewelry of the Day
A new month came and thanks to coaching from my upline I was able to quickly book four parties so I was ready to hit the ground running in December! Then on November 30th I received an email that there would be a company wide conference call at 9 a.m. on December 1st. I wasn't able to get on the call because all the lines were full but I soon learned that after being in business 28 years the board decided that due to a difficult financial climate they would be ceasing operations in the U.S. and Canada at the end of the month.

This new hit me like a ton of bricks and it soon felt like a death. Even though my tenure with the company was short I was starting to feel at home. I bought the story that the Kiam family was always looking out for the best of the company. I got to know them through the pictures in the catalog and I enjoyed telling people the touching story that when Victor Kiam took over the company from his father he decided to rename the company Lia and Sophia after his daughters. I also was working towards earning the trip to Atlantis in 2015 and I was looking forward to the new Spring/Summer collection that was coming out in January.

The End

But in one day, in one 7 minute phone call it was all over. Not only my dreams of earning my first sales trip but the income of many of the women who worked their Lia Sophia business full-time and supported their families with home parties. In 30 days it would all be over. As a consolation the advisor commission was increased from 30% to 40%, the leader commission was increased from 40% to 50%, and the whole catalog was discounted 50%.

As you can imagine, it was straight chaos in the Lia Sophia Facebook groups amongst the advisors as the news spread. Some were grateful to have the opportunity to make an income for the next 30 days, others were angry at the way the news was delivered, and groups that were once dedicated to growing our Lia Sophia business turned into sales showrooms as advisors starting selling their collections. There were also many discussions of where to go next.

In the following days I was confronted with a roller coaster of emotions. I considered giving up direct sales altogether, and if not direct sales, at least jewelry for sure. I looked at other jewelry companies but none had the sparkle and shine of Lia Sophia but my search will continue.

Have you ever been in direct sales? What was your experience?

25 comments

1. Awww, I felt your pain. It's not easy to accept unwanted or unasked for change. But, humans are more resilient them we realize. I know it will be upward and onward for you.

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Thx u! Upwards and onwards I go.

2. everything happens for a reason. hang in there, boo! You got this! blessings are coming your way.
    xo,
    Lisa

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Thx! On to the next adventure.

3. I am in direct sales too; and I've always loved Lia Sophia (you should see my jewelry box). There have been a lot of changes to the DS industry, and I'm watching the company I'm involved in too. Good luck and let us know if you decide to start with another company!

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I will definitely let my readers know what my next adventure will be. Only time will tell what the next year will bring in the direct sales industry.

4. Sorry to hear about this :(
    But of course, when God closes one door, He opens another!

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Thank you! I'm look forward to seeing what's next.

5. I'm sorry, thats a shame. I hope you find something amazing in its place!

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Thank you, me too!

6. Oh wow! Sorry to hear that. None of this happened by chance. Wishing you the best in 2015.

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Thank you. I look forward to good things happening in 2015.

7. A friend of mine works as a Lia Sophia Consultant. When she told me the news earlier this month, she was saddened but hopeful for the next business venture that comes her way. Good luck to you & stay positive!

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I remember reading your post about her! I was wondering how she look the news as she was with them longer than I was. Staying positive definitely helps.

8. Sales is hard, direct sales is harder. It's not for everyone but some people do great. Hope the new year brings you a new and better endeavor.

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Thx u. Sales is definitely challenging and not for everyone.

9. Wow, what a blow! I hope that this gave you some valuable experiences you can use elsewhere.

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read. What I learned was valuable so I look forward to applying it elsewhere.

10. I was also a lia advisor, for only 9 months. Just as I felt I hit my stride, this happened. But I have already moved onto a new DS company. Not doing jewelry anymore. I'm now a rep for Damsel in Defense. :)

1. For the Love of CurlsDecember 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Congratulations on your new company!

11. Somtimes, what seems like the end, is only the begining… :)

ReplyDelete
  12. Better things are yet to come my dear! It was a wonderful experience for you and you probably learned a whole lot about yourself during that time. I have a love/hate relationship with direct sales, but I know for sure, it can be one of THE BEST ways to earn a living! Love you lots! xoxo

1. For the Love of CurlsFebruary 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Thank, love for the encouragement. I won't give up th fight just yet.

13. Daaaaaag!!! Im in direct sales / mlm too. With beachbody I really hope nothing happens...seems like theyre doing ok tho. I hope to be a beachbody coach forever. Sorry your journey was cut short. (Hug)

1. For the Love of CurlsMarch 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Yeah, girl it was rough but I'm now on to bigger and better things. Thanks for stopping by.

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Don't forget to subscribe for regular updates.